The Lake Bluff Public Library is pleased to offer Curbside Pickup, sponsored by the Friends of the Lake Bluff Library. This page is your homepage for all things curbside—read on to find out how this service works, how to request your materials, and more.
If you have received an email saying that items from your order have been pulled, please use the button below to schedule a pickup time. In order to guarantee that your items are ready for pickup, please DO NOT schedule an appointment until after we've notified you that your items have been pulled.
- Your Pre-Curbside Checklist
Before getting started with Curbside Pickup, we recommend completing the following steps:
- Learn how use your online account. You'll need to know how to log in to your online account, search the catalog, and place holds in order to use Curbside Pickup. If you want a refresher on how your account works, click on the Using Your Online Account section on this page to access some video tutorials prepared by one of our librarians.
- Consider switching to email notifications. We will be working with a limited staff, so the more patrons who are on email notifications, the more time we can dedicate to preparing your orders.
- Put items on hold. Browse our catalog and find some titles you'd like to read.
- Stay up to date. Follow us on Facebook and Instagram, or sign up for our eNewsletter to make sure you stay current with all the latest service updates.
- Placing a Curbside Pickup Order
- Log in to your online account and put some items on hold.
- If you are signed up for email notifications, wait until you receive an email saying that your hold has arrived.
- Follow the link in your hold notification email to our Curbside Pickup page and use the Schedule a Pickup button at the top of the page to schedule a curbside pickup appointment. Please do not schedule an appointment until after you receive a notice that we have pulled your items.
- Choose an available 30-minute pickup window from Pickup Slot #1, Pickup Slot #2, Pickup Slot #3, or Pickup Slot #4. If no times are available, check back later.
- If other cardholders in your household have materials that have been pulled, you can add them to your pickup time—you do not need to schedule separate pickup times for different cards.
- Fill out your information on the booking form. Book your time slot. You'll receive an automatic confirmation email with all the information for your appointment, as well as an email reminder 2 hours prior to your pickup time.
Same Day Appointments
We are able to accommodate requests for same day Curbside Pickup appointments by phone if we have available appointment slots. Please call the Library at 847-234-2540 and ask a staff member about booking a same day appointment.
- Picking Up Your Curbside Pickup Order
- Arrive at the Library during your designated 30-minute pickup window.
- Beginning October 13, Curbside Pickup will be located in the lobby of the Library building. Orders will placed on a cart next to the interior doors. The Library building will not be open during this time.
- For your safety and the safety of others, please note the following:
- Masks are currently required in Lake Bluff. More detailed information about this requirement can be found on the Village of Lake Bluff's website.
- Staff members will not be available for face-to-face conversations or in-person assistance during Curbside hours. We miss our patrons a lot, but for your safety and ours, please call the Library at 847-234-2540 or email our reference desk if you have questions or require assistance.
- Please maintain at least 6 feet of distance between yourself and members of other households. We will place social distancing markers on the sidewalk to facilitate this.
- Once you have collected your materials, please return to your vehicle and do not linger at the pickup point.
- You can read more about our safety protocols in the Keeping the Library Safe section of this page, but you may want to wait an additional 72 hours after pickup before using your items.
- Other Changes to Expect
Other library services will be unavailable or modified for the foreseeable future:
- Autorenewal is live! This wasn't quite the rollout that we were expecting, but we're implementing autorenewal! When your item comes up on the due date, the system will automatically renew it for you up to three times.
- Virtual programs. In compliance with expert health recommendations, all Library programming will be offered virtually only through at least the end of February. We will be using Zoom for most of our synchronous programming. Unless stated otherwise, registration will be required for all programs. All users who register for a program will receive an email with the Zoom meeting information for the program.
- Hours for phone support. Staff are available by phone during the following hours:
- Monday - Friday: 10am-6pm
- Saturday: 10am-5pm
- Virtual reference. You can continue to email the reference desk with your questions.
- Meeting Room bookings cancelled. All meeting room bookings are cancelled indefinitely.
- Keeping the Library Safe
The health and safety of Library staff and patrons is our priority. The following safety measures are in effect to keep staff and patrons safe:
- 3 day quarantine for returned materials. All returned materials undergo a 3 day quarantine period before returning to circulation. The quarantine period is based on recommendations from Reaching Across Illinois Library System (RAILS), our regional library system.
- PPE required for staff. Staff will be wearing personal protective equipment (PPE) when handling materials or working onsite in the Library building. Additional equipment, such as keyboard protectors, will be utilized when necessary.
- Adjusted scheduling for staff. Scheduling has been adjusted to minimize contact between staff members; most staff will continue to work remotely.
- Using Your Online Account & Other Tutorials
Library Account and Holds Tutorial
Join Katie Horner, our Head of Circulation and Reference, and learn how to log in to your online account, search the catalog, and place holds in this video tutorial.
Booking a Curbside Pickup Appointment
Katie shows you how to book an appointment for curbside pickup on the Library website.
- Q: Are the exterior book drops still closed?
A: We are pleased to announce that the exterior book drops have officially reopened! Items may be returned 24/7.
Q: I got an overdue notice for an item that I just returned yesterday. What's up with that?
A: Returns will be quarantined for a minimum of 3 days following their return to the Library. Your item will be checked in on the first business day following the completion of the quarantine period (in other words: if you return an item on a Tuesday, it will be quarantined for Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and checked in on Saturday). You will not be charged overdue fines for the quarantine period. If you see an item on your account 3 or more days after you returned it, please contact the Library and we'll be happy to do a shelf check.
Q: Can I request a same day pickup?
A: If we have appointment slots available, we can accommodate requests for same day pickup by phone. Please call the Library at 847-234-2540 and ask about booking a same day curbside pickup appointment.
Q: Wait, you're doing autorenewal now? How does that work?
A: That announcement got a little lost in the shuffle, but yes! Autorenewal is just like it sounds—the system will automatically renew any eligible items for you.
Q: Can I place an Interlibrary Loan request?
A: Yes! Interlibrary Loan is available, but it is slower than usual due to quarantine periods for materials. At present, ILL requests take at least one week to arrive and complete processing.
Q: Are you going to be adding more hours or pickup days?
A: Maybe! Initially, our focus is getting the service rolled out. We need to get a sense of demand, as well as whether our staffing levels are adequate before we make major changes to availability.
Q: How far in advance can I schedule a pickup?
A: To start, you can book a pickup up to two weeks in advance. We may adjust this time frame depending on demand.
Q: I missed my pickup window! What should I do?
A: Contact the reference desk and let's talk.
Q: I don't have a library card or I've lost my library card—can I still use curbside pickup? Can I get a card?
A: Yes! If you've never had a card before, head on over to our temporary cards page and fill out the form and our staff will be in touch about getting you a temporary card. If you've lost your card, contact the reference desk and we'll get you reconnected to your account.
Q: If I got a temporary card earlier during the shelter-in-place order, can I use Curbside Pickup? Do I need to do anything to complete the application process?
A: If you have a temporary card, you can use Curbside Pickup. Eventually, you will need to complete the application process, but for now, you don't need to do anything else.
Q: I have a card from another library—can I schedule a curbside pickup appointment?
A: Yes! We are pleased to announce that Curbside Pickup is now open for reciprocal borrowers.
Q: Are you accepting book donations?
A: For health and safety reasons, we are currently not accepting donations of books. Monetary donations are always appreciated. Learn more about how to support the Library on our donations page.