Digital Services Update
Tuesday, April 15, 2014
The library is currently experiencing some technical difficulties with some of our digital resources. We are working on resolving the problem. If you encounter any difficulties accessing your My Media Mall or Freegal accounts, please let us know.
We are happy to report that the library has completed the upgrade to Sierra, our new Integrated Library System. The library staff would like to extend their appreciation and thanks for your cooperation during the final stages of our migration.
The bulk of the upgrade has been completed, but library staff continues to work on configuring the new system. At present, there are a few things to be aware of:
As always, if you have any questions, please feel free to contact us for assistance.
- * Email Notifications: We have just learned that our previous system has been sending out email notifications and reminders. This affected items that were returned between the evening of Sunday, March 24 and Thursday, March 27. If you returned an item during that time and later received an email notification about your returned items, don't worry: these items were checked in using our new system. If you would like to verify your current account status, please call the library or login to your brand new online account. We apologize for the error. This problem has been corrected as of 6:48 PM on March 27.
- * Interlibrary Loan: ILL will be changing soon. Please continue to use the existing webforms to place your requests.
- * Credit Card Payments: Our new software vendor is working on setting up online credit card payments. We expect to have functionality restored soon.
- * Text message notifications: There has been a slight delay in implementing our SMS messaging suite. If you have signed up for text notifications, you may have missed a notification during the initial implementation. Text notifications are currently working, but they are not optimized for mobile delivery right now. This will change shortly.
- * Tutorials: We are working on creating guides for using our new catalog. They will be available on the website and at the library very soon, so keep checking back!
Other Library News
April Art Show
During the month of April, the
Children's Department will
have an amazing art display
created by the boys and
girls from Ms. Thomsen's
K through 5 after school Park District art classes.
Stop by and see the remarkable artwork of these
Lake Bluff children.
More eBooks--Coming Soon!
We are pleased to announce that we will be doubling our budget for eBooks and eAudiobooks for the 2014-2015 fiscal year! Beginning in May, the library will use additional funds to add more titles every month and purchase additional copies of popular items. If you're new to eBooks and eAudiobooks, there's no better time to start learning! Check out our eBook/eAudiobook page for more information or give us a call to set up a tutorial.
Friends of the Lake Bluff Library Book Drive
Drive your old books and textbooks to the library this spring*! Rather than tossing those old titles aside, give them to the Friends of the Lake Bluff Library and we'll donate them to Better World Books, an online bookseller that donates a portion of each sale to high-impact literacy projects and the Lake Bluff Library! On Saturday, May 3rd, and Sunday, May 4th, during library hours, bring your books to the library Spruth room to donate. The west side door will be open to take your donations. Tax letters will be available. If you need assistance with your books, volunteers will be available to pick-up your books. A limited number of pick-up times are available; please call the library to reserve your pick-up time.
If you would like to volunteer during this event, please email Linda Schwartz at email@example.com or call the library at 847-234-2540.
*Books and textbooks only, please. Encyclopedias and other reference materials are unable to be accepted.
Help Us Test Our New Website!
The library is looking for a few volunteers* to help us test our new website.
If you are interested in helping us, send your contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org!*Not all volunteers will be selected for testing.
iPhone/iPad for Personal Use
Monday, May 12 at 7:00pm
Register to Attend
Do you need some help getting started using your new iPhone or iPad? Would you like to
know more about your device and how to make it work for you? Then join us
for a workshop highlighting the iPhone
and iPad, including tips and tricks! Blair
Miller of AppleLearn will show how
to make the most of your device and
introduce you to apps to improve
your experience. Prior to creating
AppleLearn in 2010, Blair was a
trainer in an Apple retail store for 3 years. Her goal is
to bring training and support to you and to help you
achieve the same level of confidence, enjoyment
and productivity as she has experienced.
Lives Change @ Your Library
Sunday, April 13 through Saturday, April 19
This week, the Lake Bluff Public Library joins libraries in schools, campuses and communities
nationwide in celebrating National Library Week, a time to highlight the value of libraries, librarians,
and library workers!
Stop by the library and complete our Library Scavenger Hunt! All patrons who complete the hunt
successfully will receive a secret code word. Use the code word to receive up to $5 in fine amnesty
at the front desk!
Knitting With Eliza
Thursdays, April 24 and May 29 at 7:30 pm
Teens, if you have ever had an interest in
knitting, this is the group for you. Knitting Guru Eliza can help
you with anything from simple hats and scarves to funky patterns and
neat stitches. Beginners are welcome in this relaxed, informal group.
National Library Week in the Children's Department!
Sunday, April 13 through Saturday, April 19
Drop in to the children's department and make a delightful craft* for National
Library Week. *While supplies last.
The Health Insurance Marketplace
Visit our Affordable Care Act information page for resources on purchasing health insurance and finding more information from official sources. Please be aware that insurance is only purchased through offical Marketplace sites and not through the library information page.