Employment & Volunteering
Library Assistant, Circulation & Reference—Part-time (17.75 hrs/wk)
The Lake Bluff Public Library is seeking a friendly and customer service-oriented worker to help staff our busy front desk and assist with a variety of tasks in our Circulation and Reference department. The ideal candidate will be a creative problem solver who can think on their feet, and can thrive in a changing, highly-collaborative environment.
- Checkout and locate materials for patrons at the front desk.
- Promptly and accurately answer questions about patron accounts, fines, and library services.
- Provide basic reference services to patrons.
- Resolve patron issues or complaints calmly and professionally.
- Provide basic instructional and troubleshooting assistance for public computers and other equipment (resolving printer jams, saving information to flash drives, etc.)
- Provide information to patrons about eBook services and digital resources, and troubleshoot common issues.
- With training, provide reader’s advisory services in a variety of formats (in-person, print, digital)
- Additional responsibilities and cross-training opportunities may be assigned.
- Two years of college or current enrollment as a college student is preferred.
- Familiarity with basic computer operations and Microsoft Word is required.
- This position involves a high level of contact with the public: excellent verbal communication is a must.
- Previous library or customer service experience is not required, but will be considered favorably.
The position schedule may be flexible, but availability during the following times is preferred:
- Monday – Thursday : 6:00 pm to 9:15 pm
- Saturday: 1:00 pm to 5:15 pm
To apply, please upload a cover letter and resume using the form below.
If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Library to request an accommodation.
Contact for this posting:
Head of Circulation and Reference
847-234-2540, ext: 118
123 E. Scranton Ave.
Lake Bluff, IL 60044
Position is open until filled.
Thank you for applying for employment at the Lake Bluff Public Library. We appreciate your interest in our organization. Here are some answers to frequently asked questions about our hiring process:
When do you begin calling about interviews?
We generally begin contacting candidates for interviews when the listing has been posted for approximately 2-3 weeks. Please note that this timeframe is not absolute and can vary depending on a number of factors.
If I don't hear back, should I assume the position has been filled?
If the listing is still posted on our website, the position has not yet been filled. Additionally, we do contact all applicants at the conclusion of the hiring process to let them know that the position has been filled.
Who should I contact to check on the status of my application?
The Library will contact you about the status of your application as it changes.
None at this time.