Library Service During COVID-19
As required by the shelter-in-place order issued by the State of Illinois, the Lake Bluff Public Library will be closed through at least May 30. Some staff will be working remotely and providing patron services in a limited capacity. Here is what you need to know:
- Read the latest update from our director about the status of library service and our current plans for the future.
- No Library staff are available by phone. All inquiries or requests for assistance must be submitted by email. Please contact the reference desk for general inquiries. If you need to contact a specific staff member, please use the Contact page. Any voicemails left while the Library is closed will not be answered until after the shelter-in-place order has been lifted.
- No materials will be due while the Library is closed.
- No late fines will be charged while the Library is closed.
- Patron expiration dates will be extended.
- Return of materials is suspended while the Library is closed and the exterior book drops are out of service. Please return your materials when the Library reopens.
- All programs, public meetings, and in-person services are cancelled through at least May 30.
- Information about available services including temporary cards, the Seed Library, and digital services is posted below.
Updates will be shared on the Library website, Facebook, Instagram, the outgoing voice message on the Library phones, and through the Library eNewsletter. If you’d like to follow us on social media or sign up for our eNewsletter, more information is shared below.
Thank you for your patience during this time. We hope that you and your loved ones stay safe and healthy and we look forward to seeing you when the Library reopens.
We are pleased to announce that our Seed Library is now available online. For more information on this service, please visit the Seed Library page.
Temporary Library Cards
Want to access digital resources, but don't have a current Library card? We've got you covered! You can apply for a Temporary Card, which will be valid for online use through the duration of the current closure. Just complete the Temporary Card application and we'll get you set up. Questions about Temporary Cards or cards in general? Contact the Reference Desk and we'll be happy to help.
Get Social Media and Email Updates
We'll be posting updates, virtual programs, and other information on our Facebook and Instagram pages. We also have an email newsletter. When the Library is not experiencing unexpected temporary closings, we use the eNewsletter to send a monthly digest of programming and library news. We never share your email address with third parties. Sign up below.
More information will be shared here shortly.
Other COVID-19 Resources
- Lake Bluff Strong is a collaborative effort between several Lake Bluff organizations (including the Library!) and individuals in the community to share information about COVID-19 and available community resources and events during the shelter-in-place order.
- LBPL COVID-19 Resource Bookmark
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Illinois Department of Health
- Lake County Health Department
- Chicago Tribune - COVID-19 Coverage
Business and Economic Resources
- Resources for Businesses and Employers - Plan, prepare, and respond according to guidelines established by the Centers for Disease Control
- US Small Business Administration - Low interest, long term disaster relief loans to keep businesses afloat
- Small Business Survival Guide for Northeastern Illinois - by Small Business Development Center of Illinois and College of Lake County
- COVID-19 and Applying for Unemployment FAQs - Available through the Illinois Department of Employment Security (IDES)
Resources for Small Businesses
Resources from March 23, 2020 webinar with Congressman Brad Schneider.